Newberg- Dundee Bypass Update
From: Dave Haugeberg
During the meeting on Monday, March 27 with Representative Ron Noble, we discussed the importance of the Bypass. Here is what Rep. Noble suggested for talking points that you can use to share your story with the legislature on the importance of the Bypass.
The competition for projects to be included in any transportation package is very high, and there are several other areas throughout our state in critical need of infrastructure. In order to compete, we need to show not only the impact the bypass has on the local area, but throughout the region.
Some suggested talking points may include:
Local community investment:
- Confederated Tribes $4,000,000
- Yamhill County $10,264,000
- McMinnville $3,209,600
- Newberg $2,211,200
- Dundee $315,200
TOTAL LOCAL FUNDING $20,000,000
RETURN ON INVESTMENT – Regional Economy – impact on the local economy.
- Agriculture- shipment of agricultural products. Due to congestion to Portland, some small ag businesses cannot send their perishable product to larger markets.
- Industry – movement of goods to and from ports.
- Agri-tourism – movement of people visiting our area (wineries, restaurants, outdoor activities, etc).
- Competition with the new casino planned for southern Washington and the impact on the economies supported by the Spirit Mountain and Chinook Winds Casinos.
- Expected increase in visitation due to destination marketing efforts, awards (Sunset Magazine, Wine Enthusiast, etc), events and area attractions.
Impacts the ability to provide housing relief for the metro area –
Emergency routes –
- Major evacuation route from the central coast inland (as identified by ODOT)
- Parallel to I5 from Portland to Eugene
Future Area Growth –
- Forecasted population growth according to the Portland State University Population Research Center – 2017 to 2035 (18 years)
- Yamhill County – 27% growth
- Bypass Corridor – Dayton, Dundee, Lafayette, McMinnville, Newberg – 33% growth
- Lincoln County – 10% growth
And any other information that helps the legislators know the impact this will have on our community.
Communicate with all legislators, however here are specific legislators to be sure to contact:
Senator Lee Beyer
Representative Caddy McKeown
Senator Brian Boquist
Representative Cliff Bentz
Senator Fred Girod
Senator Betsy Johnson
Senator Rod Monroe
Senator Kathleen Taylor
Senator Jackie Winters
Representative John Lively
Representative Susan McLain
Representative Andy Olson
Representative Greg Smith
Representative Barbara Smith Warner
Senate President Peter Courtney
Speaker of the House Tina Kotek
House Republican Leader Mike McLane
House Democratic Leader Jennifer Williamson
The timing is now. Send letters, emails and phone calls in support, including the completion of the Newberg-Dundee Bypass in the transportation package and please send them over the next 2-3 weeks. The more people, the better.